Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Stupid American Part 2

Last night I was about to go out with some friends. It is polite to say goodbye to everyone in the house before you leave, so I was trying to do that. It gets a little old saying all the same things so I tried to spice it up a little. What I was trying to do was explain that "everyday there are so many exciting things to do in your country". I'm pretty sure what I actually said was something along the lines of "You country is excited all days." I feel like the foreigner that comes to America, works in a phone store, and can't actually produce a full sentence in English. I may be hopeless.

I walked in the kitchen after dinner. Madre was washing dishes. She normally complains that I don't eat enough (how she can say that I have no idea, I'm pretty sure I get laughed at at home for how much I can throw back). She also always leaves fruit on the counter in a bowl so I can just eat it when I want to. Apparently I don't do it quite enough. So, after dinner, I walk into the kitchen. I throw my trash away, hand her my plate, and reach for a cherry. Wrong. She gasps, makes a very, ''not nice'' face and is completely grossed out/shocked. What? The cherries weren't washed. I may now have some serious, life-threatening disease; so she believes. But don't worry, us Americans are invincible.

This is one of my favorites, probably having to do with the fact that for once, it is not about me. My friend Christy, is a very pretty girl.



She is single and ready to mingle. Well, not so much mingle as ready to learn a language and fully immerse herself in the culture. But like I said, ''learn the language," meaning, she struggles just as much as I do trying to understand her family. So, one day, Christy and her madre were talking, and her madre brings up some guy. She canNOT stop talking about this guy. He is so so so guapo (handsome) and so sweet and oh gosh just so wonderful. She can't get over it. She continues to tell Christy all about him and how he is trying to learn English, and she wants her to meet him...just...just to help him with his English, of course. Christy has been telling us about this for days. She is getting kinda nervous. The more her madre talks about this guy, the more it seems like she is trying to set her up on a date...Christy freaks. She does NOT want to do this. Finally, after some good persuasion and realizing that maybe this could just be some fun thing for her to do, she meets him. The day went awesome for her. The only problem...he is one years old. Maybe there was some miscommunication?

No comments:

Post a Comment