Thursday, June 24, 2010

Fire Jumping

People used to get the town together and jump over fire. It's tradition. Too bad they don't let us do it now. :(
Because of the summer fiestas (parties) that have been going on, we have been going out every night to see what is going on in this town.

Last night was Las Hogueras de San Juan. Thousands of Spaniards (and us) gathered around this barricated fire pit. HUGE! Probably as big as my Jeep, if not bigger. We thought people were going to jump it, but nobody ended up being allowed to. : ( Sad day. That could have been funny...or sad?
But what we did do was also part of their tradition. At the Hoguera, you are supposed to write down a wishes and regrets on separate pieces of paper. Then you can either throw it in the fire yourself, or you can hand it to the firemen, and they will do it for you. So, we did. But I had no regrets. At least none that were worth my effort in acknowleding, so I just wrote my wish on un papel and gave it to the nice man.

We had a blast.

P.s. It is crazy how much Espanoles (Spanish people) dance. They are always dancing. Little girls with their daddies. Little boys acting cool. College students with each other. Even the older generation. Young and old alike just dance to music in the streets. They have such a good time. The people are always out on the street! Which reminds me, today was the first day of classes :/ lol but something my culture and civ teacher taught us what that "En Espana, la vida está en la calle." (In Spain, life is in the street.) It is so true. People are just outside all day long. And the weather is PERFECT! Cooler at night. Nice during the day. And their clothes are the best by the way. Anyhow, yeah. Life is in the street. People just hang out in the streets. It's so easy for them to do because the buildings are so close to the roads and the stores are all connected. There is always something to buy or eat...

2 comments:

  1. Do they eat burritos in Spain? The closest thing I can get here is a hot dog, if you can call it that, wrapped in a giant fried egg tortilla. I'm dying for a real burrito. Some re-fried beans would be a nice side too, haha.

    Can you post some pictures of the street life there? I'd love to see what the differences are between what I saw in Atlanta, what is going on in Spain, and what happens here in China.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I will try and see if we can go out one night this week and I will start taking pictures of the night life. :)I have not run into burritos here. I'm pretty sure that is a Latin American/South American thing??

    ReplyDelete